HTML5 Resources Revised For TechDays
Wow! What an amazing trip I had this past week to Vancouver. I learned about Poutine, Japadogs and the shared disdain for Nickelback that we all have. I really enjoyed the beautiful city of Vancouver and all the really nice people that I met there.
I had the privalege - and it really was a “privilege” to attend the Make Web Not War event that Microsoft puts on. If you aren’t familiar with Web Not War, it’s a meetup that Microsoft puts together where all web technology is dicussed, regardless of what technology you are using. Everyone just gets together and talks about the cool stuff they are doing on the web. I love to see Microsoft supporting the web community at large. It was great to be a part of something where we were not .NET or PHP developers, but simply web developers. It honestly felt like we were one big team. A great sense of comradery. If you missed Web Not War, I highly recommend you make it your priority to attend the next event.
As promised, here is a revised list of HTML5 resources as well as the sample project we built in the second session and the deck from the first session.
Who has two thumbs and hooks up Canadians with sweet HTML5 resources? This guy!
Here we go….
The Deck From TechDays Is Here. The deck from the second session isn’t posted because, well, there really wasn’t one. It was all demo baby.
- Kendo UI : A complete UI framework for HTML5 development including all your mobile needs. It’s the reason I do what I do.
- Polyfills : A comprehensive list of Polyfills. Forgot what a polyfill is?
- CSS3 Generator : A tools to create your style rules and even creates those browser prefixed ones for you! Work smarter, not harder.
- HTML5 Boilerplate : Your starting point for a new HTML5 application.
- MotherEffin HTML5 Site : HTML5 Boilerplate in a Visual Studio 2010 MVC 3 Project template. Pure goodness.
- Mothereffing HSL : Generates your HSL color style rule for you.
- Mother Effing Text-Shadow : Generates that super long style rule for CSS3 text shadows.
- Adobe Kuler : Generates a complete color scheme for your site. Create a new one, or pick an existing one.
- HTML5 Video For Everyone : This generates the HTML and embedded SWF object for your video. This is a complete polyfill for falling back to browsers without video support.
- Can I Use : Will tell you what the browser you are currently using is capable of.
- Chrome Experiments WebGL : So rad. Nothing else you can say here.
- IE Test Drive : Some cool demo’s of what’s possible in IE. Make sure you do the Paintball demo and check it across browsers.
- Visualizing Yahoo Mail : A fantastic example of SVG animations.
- Trip Wire Magazine : This is a buffet of HTML5 demo’s, tutorials, tools, generators - you name it. Holy crap this is good.
Dead simple and free Azure hosting for your .NET web applications from App Harbor. These guys put the “cious” in delicious. No more excuses. Write that killer app and deploy with no cost to you. That’s how it should be.
Our HTML5 MVC Project
We built a pretty rockin demo application using Geolocation and some nifty CSS3 concepts. You can download that entire project here. Remember that it’s built on the MotherEffin HTML5 Site, so you may need to install the .vsix first.
What are you waiting for!?! Seriously, stop reading this and start building some HTML5 awesomeness. It’s super easy and getting easier. I enjoyed meeting all of you and look forward to hearing about what you are doing with HTML5.